Words, Words and More Words! (And a few numbers)
I do this thing sometimes when I give Jen a footrub. I blow between her toes. It sounds weird, but it's actually kind of cool. I stumbled upon it by accident, on my own feet. The 'tween toe parts of our feet never get adequate airflow, and it feels nice if you can get air through that part.
Well, there were times where I'd blow through Jen's toes, and then I'd move from one foot to the next. By the time I was done with the second foot, Jen would tell me that I hadn't blown through the toes of the first foot. To remedy this problem, I began asking Jen for a word before I blew through her toes. That word would be associated with the toe-blowing, and if she forgot that I had blown through the toes of the first foot, I'd just have to say "No, I blew through those toes. Remember? The word was 'malfunction.'" That would put any end to the question. Well, Jen is good at coming up with words, so I enjoy her coming up with free-association-type words to write on.
Hang on. I'll ask her what a good word for tonight would be.
Tonight's word is "monkey." I told Jen I didn't like "monkey." Although, I did just think of Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau (er...Chief Inspector Clouseau), and the scene in one of his films where he asks a blind organ grinder "Is that your mankey?"
"Is that my mankey?"
"Yes. That is what I said."
Ha ha! Guess you had to be there! (This where people use the exclamation "Good times!"--it's shorthand for "boy, that was a dumb joke that nobody laughed at...I need to save face, so I'll say 'Good Times'.")
I told Jen that I didn't really care for "Monkey." "Did you use last night's word," she asked. Last night's word was "Vegetable."
"No. I didn't like last night's word, either."
"Do you want an adjective or a verb or a noun?"
"Give me a word that starts with 'L'." Our Friday nights are fantastically word-filled.
"Pick one. 'Llama,' or 'loaded'."
I picked "llama." I don't know why. Anyhow, I could go on llama, I suppose. Maybe, if I wanted to vary things a bit, I could go on Alpaca.
When I was a teen, I would listen to KALX, the University of California at Berkeley's radio station. They'd play a zillion different things, from reggae, to rap (that's the first place I ever heard RUN-DMC, and probably one of the first places to play RUN-DMC in the Bay Area), to bluegrass to punk. KALX still does play all of that, and more. Anyhow, one of the things they'd play was "alternative" or "indie-rock," and one of the music labels that put out some of that stuff was PopLlama. I think, at the time, the PopLlama band that people were big on was The Posies.
About ten years ago, after forgetting all about Popllama, I picked up a CD by the Fastbacks, and it was on...the popllama label. Anyhow. Neither here nor there.
Here's something weird. Has nothing to do with words or llamas or toes or monkeys--
I was at The Bank after work today, and I was sitting in my car, listening to NPR in The Bank parking lot. There was a segment on The Conet Project, a collection of shortwave "numbers" recordings. I can't explain the numbers stuff. It's just people on shortwave frequencies reading numbers. I've dumbed the whole thing way, way down, but if you visit that site, and this one as well, you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Take a look at the spynumbers page (the second of the two links), and you'll even get a chance to listen to an mp3 of a weird number broadcast (it's on the Rodent Revolution page--follow that link). I was completely creeped out by the number broadcasts, and the whole notion of spynumbers in general. Weird, weird weird. And somehow completely fascinating, in a creepy, "there are ghosts under my bed and in my closet and I want to sleep with my head under the blankets" kind of way.
Well, there were times where I'd blow through Jen's toes, and then I'd move from one foot to the next. By the time I was done with the second foot, Jen would tell me that I hadn't blown through the toes of the first foot. To remedy this problem, I began asking Jen for a word before I blew through her toes. That word would be associated with the toe-blowing, and if she forgot that I had blown through the toes of the first foot, I'd just have to say "No, I blew through those toes. Remember? The word was 'malfunction.'" That would put any end to the question. Well, Jen is good at coming up with words, so I enjoy her coming up with free-association-type words to write on.
Hang on. I'll ask her what a good word for tonight would be.
Tonight's word is "monkey." I told Jen I didn't like "monkey." Although, I did just think of Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau (er...Chief Inspector Clouseau), and the scene in one of his films where he asks a blind organ grinder "Is that your mankey?"
"Is that my mankey?"
"Yes. That is what I said."
Ha ha! Guess you had to be there! (This where people use the exclamation "Good times!"--it's shorthand for "boy, that was a dumb joke that nobody laughed at...I need to save face, so I'll say 'Good Times'.")
I told Jen that I didn't really care for "Monkey." "Did you use last night's word," she asked. Last night's word was "Vegetable."
"No. I didn't like last night's word, either."
"Do you want an adjective or a verb or a noun?"
"Give me a word that starts with 'L'." Our Friday nights are fantastically word-filled.
"Pick one. 'Llama,' or 'loaded'."
I picked "llama." I don't know why. Anyhow, I could go on llama, I suppose. Maybe, if I wanted to vary things a bit, I could go on Alpaca.
When I was a teen, I would listen to KALX, the University of California at Berkeley's radio station. They'd play a zillion different things, from reggae, to rap (that's the first place I ever heard RUN-DMC, and probably one of the first places to play RUN-DMC in the Bay Area), to bluegrass to punk. KALX still does play all of that, and more. Anyhow, one of the things they'd play was "alternative" or "indie-rock," and one of the music labels that put out some of that stuff was PopLlama. I think, at the time, the PopLlama band that people were big on was The Posies.
About ten years ago, after forgetting all about Popllama, I picked up a CD by the Fastbacks, and it was on...the popllama label. Anyhow. Neither here nor there.
Here's something weird. Has nothing to do with words or llamas or toes or monkeys--
I was at The Bank after work today, and I was sitting in my car, listening to NPR in The Bank parking lot. There was a segment on The Conet Project, a collection of shortwave "numbers" recordings. I can't explain the numbers stuff. It's just people on shortwave frequencies reading numbers. I've dumbed the whole thing way, way down, but if you visit that site, and this one as well, you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Take a look at the spynumbers page (the second of the two links), and you'll even get a chance to listen to an mp3 of a weird number broadcast (it's on the Rodent Revolution page--follow that link). I was completely creeped out by the number broadcasts, and the whole notion of spynumbers in general. Weird, weird weird. And somehow completely fascinating, in a creepy, "there are ghosts under my bed and in my closet and I want to sleep with my head under the blankets" kind of way.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home