Monday, May 02, 2005

So Hard to Quit

So, it's hard to quit the Internet. It's hard to tear myself away from something that offers the sort of intense, immediate gratification that the Internet does. Search for something, it’s there. Write something, post it within minutes, if you like. Email someone, anyone, and chances are good that they’ll respond. I'm addicted to it, I admit. I am an internetcrackjunkiefiendtweaker. But, I can keep away for periods, if I show myself the benefits of spending my time in the pursuit of other, more productive things.

Stay away from the computer, get the house clean.

Stay away from the computer, get the lawn done.

Stay away from the computer, get the dogs walked, and give them their dinner in a timely manner.

I just need to recognize the appropriate whens and wheres of using the computer.

Most of what's kept me away, and kept my mind locked in a sort of funk is the condition of the dogs. I realize now that there is no rhyme or reason to what's going on with them. They're sick, it's nobody's fault, and all I can do is help them stay comfy, and enjoy my time with them. And I am. My walks with both dogs have never been more fun. I enjoy the serenity of an early morning walk with Milo. I enjoy watching him sniff the ground. I like to watch as he focuses his nostrils on a random bit of shrubbery. I stand and take it in as he uses short, choppy whiffs to process various scents in his quest to answer the question "Pee or no pee?" He is an odd dog. Sometimes, after the answer seems as though it's "Pee: Yes," he'll position his body to pee, but then decide, at the last minute, "forget about it."

Anyhow, the sense of being with him, waking up, going for a walk, watching the sun rise and filter through the morning haze--facing the first bits of the day with him--I've never appreciated it more fully than I do now.

That’s it. I’ve got a ton to say, including this: Blogger really bites if you’re using Netscape on a Mac. At least the version of Netscape that I’m using bites.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

Good luck with that. My computer and I have gradually merged into one being with no distinct individual thoughts anymore...my computer rules all that I do.

AMG

10:17 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

Good luck with that. My computer and I have gradually merged into one being with no distinct individual thoughts anymore...my computer rules all that I do.

AMG

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home